Becoming a Vendor — FAQ
- How much does it cost?Prices vary depending on the size and location of booths. The range is approximately $200 to $350 per month. Cases are $58 per month.
- Do you charge commission for sales?No. The Shops does not charge commission for any sales. Homer Marple said 30 years ago to never charge commission.
- What forms and certifications do I need?You need a NYS Certificate of Authority to Collect State Sales Tax. To apply, go online to https://www.businessexpress.ny.gov/. It takes about 3 weeks to obtain. It is free!
- Do I have to work any days?Yes. You are required to work 2 days per shop and 1 day per case monthly. Work days owed increase during our busy months of November and December.
- How and when do I get paid?You get paid every two weeks. All sales go through our central cashier stations. We calculate the sales tax we collected for you and it is included in your pay. The first pay period of each month, your owed rent is deducted from your sales. We also deduct 4% for credit card sales. A check and full report of your sales activity is placed in a mailbox designated for you here at The Shops.
- Do I have to sign a contract?No. We operate on a handshake. You are not forced into a long term commitment. We only want you to stay with us if you are happy and successful. The average vendor stay time is 7 years. You also have the option of moving throughout the building as spaces become available.
- What can I sell?We allow anything except the following items: firearms (or anything resembling a firearm), used clothing (true vintage is allowed), marijuana pipes, or pornographic material.
- How long have you been in business?We have been in business in upstate New York for 30 years. We originally opened as the Craft Antique Co-Op. We changed our name and upgraded our image in 2010.
- Who runs The Shops?The Shops is operated by the Marple family. Started by Homer Marple in Hilton, The Shops is now run by his grandson Nile Marple.
- How much money do I need to get started?The costs to get your shop open are modest. A start-up package, which includes a sign, an apron, and price tags costs $50.
Please feel free to contact The Shops at (585) 368-0670 if you have additional questions or would like to be added to the vendor waitlist.